Domain names can have up to 63 characters. You could even choose something like you-can-have-up-to-63-characters-in a domain.com for your domain name. You will sometimes find references to 67 characters in domain names. This includes the dot and the letters c-o-m as an additional 4 characters.
The valid characters for use in all domain names are:
- any of the letters a to z (for example, xyz.com)
- any numbers 0 to 9 (for example, 1122.com)
- you may also use a hyphen (-) (for example, place-hyphens-here.com)
- the domain can be a combination of numbers, letters and hyphens
- the domain can begin and end in a number (for example, 1to9.com)